--Original Message Text---
From: Steve Higham
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:17:47 +0000

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Hello

In his book on The Civilising Process (1994), Elias remarks that on their wedding night the medieval bride would be undressed by her maids and mounted †in the presence of witnesses if the marriage was to be valid†(1994:146). He was referring to Germany and it is not clear which class of medieval bride he is referring to.

Was this common and does this crowded bedroom not undermine the role of the Church - or did the Church give its blessing?

Many thanks

Steve