More sad news I am afraid.

Members of this list who work on British local history, or who know the IHR well, will be saddened to learn of the death (3 August) of Professor Christopher Elrington who was, for a long time, general editor of the Victoria County History.  He was also, among many other things, a longstanding member of the Council of the Canterbury and York Society.

We all owe him a great deal for his outstanding work at the VCH and, personally, I will remember him as a quietly charming man.  He will be much missed.

There are obituaries at

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/.../Professor-Christopher-Elrington.html

and at www.timesonline-uk

Rosemary Hayes