From: Paul Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] How did medieval churches function?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, August 1, 2009, 1:40 AM

Steve, this is a late and general contribution to an interesting thread, but I liked very much Margaret Visser's book, The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery and Meaning in an Ordinary Church (2000), which is a sort of thick description of the (mostly 7th-c.) church of S. Agnese fuori le Mura in Rome.

It's a bit prolix, I suppose, but explains a lot about a lot: from saints to cosmatesque pavement, mosiac technique, the liturgical year, baptismal fonts, incense, use of spolia, bells, the cult of relics, etc., etc. I don't know of anything else that is quite so directly relevant to your original query.

There are links to some reviews on her website. -- Paul Chandler