medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear George

Some answers to your questions, but dated 1355, are found in Passavanti, "Specchio della Vera Penitenza":

a) confession is the second component of penance, the first is contrition and the thrid satisfaction - so confession is not identified with absolution.

b) the presence of a priest for confession is not necessary in a case of emergency - P. gives the example of a confession to a servant in a stable as valid and gives Caesarius as his source. Note that contrition is not sufficient, it needs to be accompanied by confession, i.e. the sorrowful speaking out of one's sin to another (but not necessarily the priest).

The exemplum does not allow a straight answer to your question if a priest need to be present, because the adulterous penitent in question is himself a priest. Moreover, as already pointed out by Tom, even if one confessed to a priest on those dates, he may have to wait if being referred to the higher authorities for certain sins. Incidently, P. also cautions confessors against refusal to absolve, less it leads the penitent to despair.

Hope this helps, best wishes

Eliana

Scopri le nuove funzionalitą di Windows Live. Messenger va oltre - Windows Live: non limitarti alle parole. Condividili in rete! ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html