from U.S. National Public Radio.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112281183

People will spend a lot of money to live near the rich and famous. For the
dead and famous, arguably no neighborhood is more desirable than the mausoleum
at the Westwood Village Memorial Park cemetery in Los Angeles. Among the many
stars resting there is the iconic Marilyn Monroe.

The crypt directly above her was recently auctioned on eBay. A Japanese man
bid more than $4.6 million to spend eternity as Monroe's upstairs neighbor.

The Los Angeles Times reports he then reneged on the deal in an e-mail, saying
"I need to cancel this because of the paying problem."

The current occupant of the crypt is Richard Poncher, who died 23 years ago at
the age of 81. In accordance with his wishes, he was entombed face down, above
the movie star.

His widow, Elsie Poncher, wants to sell his crypt to pay off the mortgage on
her house. She'll then move him into an adjacent crypt she owns.

Her attorney told NPR that the next step depends on what they hear from eBay
about the qualifications of bidders. There were a dozen of them for the space
above Monroe.

The tomb right next to hers is owned by Playboy founder Hugh Hefner.

It seems to be the same for Monroe in death as in life, when she complained to
Groucho Marx in Love Happy:

I want you to help me," Monroe says.

"I have a little sand left, what seems to be the trouble?" Groucho asks.

"Some men are following me," Monroe replies.

Groucho comes back with,"Really? I can't understand why."

Just an exclusive few will be able to follow Monroe into eternity — and at
least one — will pay a bundle for the chance.
to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]