----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Marjorie Greene
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 1. August

Ah, Brenda. In the MA, every day was a saint's day, more than one saint...
Quite. Not disputing it, but that is not my point. My point is that Lammas was important: it was up there with Candlemas, Corpus Christi and Transfiguration as one of the 'non saint' red letter days, or along with Candlemas, Whitsunday, and Martinmas if you are counting it as a Scottish Quarter Day. In either case I would contend it is significant above and beyond the commemoration of a very minor saint.

Nowadays it seems it has been hijacked by (claimed back by ?) the New Age and Wiccan movements as one of their High Days but that should not blind us to its Christian significance (in the British Isles at least ) up to the Redformation, ie within OUR period.

Brenda.