________________________________

	From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval
religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Steve Higham
	Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:18 PM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: [M-R] The Crowded Bedroom

	medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion
and culture
Hello

In his book on The Civilising Process (1994), Elias remarks that on
their wedding night the medieval bride would be undressed by her maids
and mounted "in the presence of witnesses if the marriage was to be
valid" (1994:146). He was referring to Germany and it is not clear which
class of medieval bride he is referring to.

Was this common and does this crowded bedroom not undermine the role of
the Church - or did the Church give its blessing?

Many thanks

Steve

To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message:
leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report
problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
[log in to unmask] For further information, visit
our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]