Steve, this is a late and general contribution to an interesting thread, but
I liked very much Margaret Visser's book, The Geometry of Love: Space, Time,
Mystery and Meaning in an Ordinary Church (2000), which is a sort of thick
description of the (mostly 7th-c.) church of S. Agnese fuori le Mura in
Rome.

It's a bit prolix, I suppose, but explains a lot about a lot: from saints to
cosmatesque pavement, mosiac technique, the liturgical year, baptismal
fonts, incense, use of spolia, bells, the cult of relics, etc., etc. I don't
know of anything else that is quite so directly relevant to your original
query.

There are links to some reviews on her website. -- Paul Chandler

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.  |  Institutum Carmelitanum
via Sforza Pallavicini, 10  |  00193 - Roma  |  Italy

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]