Perhaps "selling" was hyperbolic and overstated. But what was said about court cases and costs, and amici, tends to support my observation that annulments are for the rich and powerful. It is also the case that times and practices change. It is my (unsubstantiated) understanding that it is now much more difficult than during the papacy of JP2. But the unedifying habit of the Church of seeming desirous of "hanging on to" famous people regardless of their activities or positions on various political issues is blatant. And the pretzels people tie themselves into in order to justify this would be amusing if it weren't so sad.
This, though religious, is far from medieval. Apologies to all who've had to read through this intra-Church to-and-fro.
As for Berlusconi, according to what I read at newadvent, all the indulgences, etc in the world won't help if he's excommunicate.
Marjorie Greene

start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00 ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html