From: learning development in higher education network on behalf of John Hilsdon
Sent: Tue 04/08/2009 22:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Abundance of Academic Referencing Style

Hi Alec (and all)

I very much enjoyed your recent THE article, the responses here, and the comments on your blog. I think the (albeit seemingly utopian) dream of a 'unified' approach to referencing, agreed by some (as yet to be constituted?) benign international academic body is worth holding on to -  and the more the case for a unified approach - or at least for rationalisation - is put it forward, the more likely it is to become reality in one form or another, one day. Indeed there are signs that, as some folk report, this is at last beginning to happen in some places.

Like several others who have replied, for me this debate is worth 'banging on' about, principally because referencing and bibliographical listing remains such an unnecessarily confusing area for many students. You are right: there is no need for it to be so hard. It would be perfectly possible for have consistency and clarity for both traditional print-based and newer electronic sources of published material. I get angry at the level of anxiety, distress and sheer waste of time it represents for students ... and in the end the inconsistencies give (all of us) academics a bad name - why should young people/new students respect 'our' ways of doing things when they appear so arcane/inconsistent/contradictory ...

I'm also in agreement with those who caution that the key thing (for learning developers) is for us to avoid getting too bogged down in the detail and the specifics of our preferred referencing conventions, but to champion principles of  good practice. These are honesty and integrity in showing how one's ideas have been influenced by others; where one's data comes from; acknowledging prior research and thinking etc. They point us to the heart of academic endeavour - the commitment to scholarship - to attempts at getting nearer to, or telling more of, the truths and /or realities of our disciplines! Heady stuff - but worthwhile and a useful foil to the often mystifying and alienating practices that seem to be the default position ... represented by the oft-proffered advice to new students to just 'go away and read what has been published' as a way to learn about how to 'do' academic writing.

Best wishes to everyone

John