JISCMail Newsletter: August 2009
The National Academic Mailing List Service
Logo

Welcome

Welcome to the JISCMail August 2009 newsletter using the 'Autumn Field Left' LISTSERV 16.0 template.

JISCMail Operational News

The JANET 'at risk' period applies to the JISCMail service and occurs every Tuesday morning between 07:00 and 09:00. Wherever possible, all maintenance will be conducted within this period.

The [log in to unmask] address may not be reaching owners if there are two or more at the same domain. The problem is where receiving mail servers have a setting that specifically rejects emails sent from a null (<>) sender to multiple recipients.

If you believe this problem may affect your list, please contact your local support team as they should be able to change the settings to allow the mail through. Please note that single owners from a particular domain will not be affected and will be receiving mail as normal.

Contact [log in to unmask] if you would like further information.

JISCMail Policy

Please review our policies here: JISCMail Policies

Number of lists on JISCMail

number of

lists on JISCMail - 7182

Number of JISCMail Members

number of JISCMail members - 689582

Number of Helpline queries

helpline queries -

4809

Welcome to the re-launch of the JISCMail newsletter

We are pleased to announce that we are re-launching the JISCMail newsletter. The JISCMail newsletter will be delivered to your inbox monthly or can be read on the list archive pages of https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/jiscmail-newsletter. If you were previously registered on the NEWSLETTER list, you will still continue to receive the newsletters unless you unsubscribe (please see link at the end of this email).

Later this year we are expecting to release LISTSERV version 16.0. This release comes with ready-to-use newsletter templates so JISCMail customers can create professional looking newsletters with out any HTML coding experience. Until this release, each month we will create our newletter in a different style to demonstrate the range of default templates. This is our favoured template - 'Autumn Field Left'

JISCMail Service Announcement

As of the 1st August 2009, the contract management of JISCMail has passed to the JISC Services Management Company Ltd.

READ MORE

JISC infoNet

Image

Staff from JISCMail and JISC infoNet have been working together and are pleased to offer access to ‘JISC infoNet ’ from the JISCMail Tools area of all list homepages.

JISC infoNet is one of a range of services from JISC committed to supporting further and higher education communities, offering guidance, advice and support in the innovative use of technology.

JISC infoNet provides free, predominantly web-based, resources built around its infoKit branding to promote good practice and highlight innovation in the use of ICT within the education sector.

READ MORE

Social Bookmarking

Image

We are pleased to announce the release of a social bookmarking button on every list homepage (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/yourlistname) and every posting stored on the JISCMail online archives. These have links to a selection of social bookmarking/sharing sites.

READ MORE

Twitter

Image

Did you know we are now on Twitter? You can follow us here: http://www.twitter.com/jiscmailhelp

READ MORE

JISCMail Helpline Tip

Image

If you still haven't taken your summer holiday or are planning sometime away from your email, instead of annoying the list you are subscribed to with out of office replies - it is wise to suspend your mail from a list. You can catch up with any email on the list archives (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/yourlistname).

To do this send the following command to [log in to unmask]

set * nomail
--

and when you return, send:

set * mail
--

or

You are subscribed to JISCMail Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
http://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER&A=1
or if you are subscribed to the old newsletter list, unsubscribe here:
http://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NEWSLETTER&A=1

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

JISCMail
Building R89, F16
Science and Technology Facilities Council,
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
DIDCOT
Oxon