Dear all,

I'm currently conducting a study funded by Eduserv on how multiple affiliations affect users and other FAM stakeholders.

Several problems have been identified in Federated Access, the paradigm used for access to electronic journals in the UK and elsewhere. One of these is how to handle multiple affiliations, where an individual has several relationships which give access to different resources (e.g. institutional membership, NHS contracts, membership of professional bodies). In an ideal world, there would be seamless single sign on between resources involving different affiliations, but this does not happen. This study seeks to discover the extent of the problem in UK HE: who is affected, how serious stakeholders believe it to be, and what is expected from a solution.

See https://gabriel.lse.ac.uk/twiki/bin/view/Projects/MultAffiliations/ for more information.

This is, I think, likely to be an issue which is of interest to subscribers to this list (some of whom I will already have spoken to). I'd like to extend a wider invitation to participate to you now.

I'm carrying out interviews by phone or email (email preferred method); these would take less than an hour of the interviewee's time. Please contact me if you would be willing to be interviewed. If the issue is of interest, but you don't feel that you would like to be interviewed, or don't have time, there is an online survey at https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/lsewebsite/multaffiliations. There will be a draw from survey entrants, and a prize will be awarded - probably vouchers, unless I get an inspiration!

The study report will be released to the community under a Creative Commons license in December. (All interviewees will be sent a copy of the draft for their comments.)

Many thanks,

Simon McLeish
Technical Officer, Projects
London School of Economics Library