Noise, Audition, Aurality: Histories of the Sonic World(s) of Europe, 1500-1945

Contributions are invited for a proposed collection of essays exploring the soundscapes of Europe from c.1500 to 1945. The collection seeks to open up new areas of interdisciplinary scholarship from a range of fields including (but not limited to) musicology, urban geography, history, literary studies, cultural studies, psychoanalysis, psychology and anthropology, and will build on existing work in acoustic ecology, the sociology of noise and histories and historiographies of noise, audition and aurality. We will favour contributions that deal with historically-informed topics in the following areas (although this is by no means an exclusive list):

.       The noise-sound-music nexus
.       Urban/rural soundscapes
.       Public/private soundscapes
.       The acoustic ecology of communities
.       Legal histories of noise
.       Noise, music and the body
.       Listening and the erotic
.       Political economies of noise
.       Noise, music and landscape
.       Theories of hearing and listening
.       Historical acousmêtres
.       Historiographies of noise, audition and aurality
.       Technologies of sound reproduction and their histories

Prospective contributors should send a 250-word abstract and a short biography to Ian Biddle (i.d.biddle at ncl.ac.uk) by no later than November 30 2009. If your contribution is chosen, we will require your finished chapter by 19 April 2010.

If you have any queries please also contact Ian Biddle at the email address above.