Ed and all,
    One note of caution -- a big and generally ignored problem is the effect of ignoring Fe3+ in biotite, even in graphite-bearing schists.
cheers,
eric

On Aug 18, 2009, at 1:55 PM, Edward Ghent wrote:

Hi Bob and others-

I did an empirical calibration of this geothermometer a long time ago. I basically used the grt-bt exchange data from Lang and Rice and made the approximation that the bt-chl Fe-Mg exchange from the same samples could be used to solve for the KD for grt-chl and the temperature. I think that it is referred to in the old Reviews in Mineralogy in the chapter by Jo Laird.

Ed Ghent

From: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Tracy
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 7:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hewitt-Dickenson Grt-Chl Thermometer

I have finally heard back from Dave Hewitt regarding the earlier question about the experimental calibration in the mid-80s (1986) of the T dependence of grt-chl Fe-Mg exchange that he did with Mel Dickenson.  As far as I remember, this work appeared only as  a GSA Abstract for the 99th Annual Meeting.  Dave cannot find any notes regarding solution models they used at the time, and now thinks that they probably used a fairly simple ideal model - "nothing very sophisticated" in his words.

I have never been tempted to use this thermometer myself. Regardless of quality of experimental or theoretical geothermometer calibration, the tendency of chlorite to compositional re-equilibration down-temperature (and to common heterogeneity of chlorite compositions on a very local scale of micrometers) renders it of dubious value.

Bob T.
--

Dr. Robert J. Tracy
Department of Geosciences