On 4 Oct 2008, at 09:59, Thomas Nichols wrote:

> Setting up a fourth variable would lead to a linearly-dependent
> design matrix.   I.e. the sum of EV2, EV3 and (your proposed) EV4
> would equal EV1.  If you dropped the grand mean covariate, you could
> take the approach you suggest, and, in fact, that's the dummy
> variable approach taken inhttp://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/feat5/detail.html#FTests
>  .

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm doing similar thing as Ben at the moment and am wondering why you
would choose the grand-mean approach to specifying the EVs and
contrasts versus the (simpler to my mind) approach of using the dummy
variable?

If I under stand this correctly (assuming n=3 and there are 3 groups
and no repeated measures)
long mid short age
1 0 0 12
1 0 0 11
1 0 0 13
0 1 0 11
0 1 0 17
0 1 0 14
0 0 1 10
0 0 1 12
0 0 1 16

and contrasts (* indicates inclusion in an F-test)
1 0 0 0 *
0 1 0 0 *
0 0 1 0 *
1 -1 0 0 #long > mid
0 1 -1 0 #mid > short

will allow me to ask the question "is there a group effect (the F-
test)" and then to tweeze apart some of the possible pair-wise
comparisons having accounted for variance attributable to age. Am I
correct?

Regards,
--
Dr Colm G. Connolly
Institute of Neuroscience

Please note that electronic mail to, from or within the Trinity
College Dublin, may be the
subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act.