On 13 Aug 2009, at 11:37, wolf zinke wrote:

Hi Steve,

You have been right, it was my fault, because I misinterpreted something in the fsl_sub file and made a change that was causing the problem.
There is a part where the SGE initialisation is done:

[...]
METHOD=SGE
if [ "x$SGE_ROOT" = "x" ] ; then
  if [ -f /usr/local/share/sge/default/common/settings.sh ] ; then
  . /usr/local/share/sge/default/common/settings.sh
  elif [ -f /usr/local/sge/default/common/settings.sh ] ; then
  . /usr/local/sge/default/common/settings.sh
  else
  METHOD=NONE
  fi
fi
[...]

I assumed that I have to set the file for my environment ('/usr/sge/default/common/settings.sh'), and of course this was setting again the variable SGE_ROOT. So I guess that this kind of problem I introduced could occur whenever someone sets up SGE with the paths as specified here. Would it not be more reliable to check whether the variable SGE_ROOT is set and decide based on this to use SGE?
Anyway, now everything seems to work fine again and I am happy. Sorry for causing this problem by myself.

wolf

Yes, sorry about this. You were not expected to change auto-detect paths and only supposed to change the METHOD=SGE part if, for instance, you want to permanently disable fsl_sub from using SGE. The bit that looks in the common places and uses SGE if it finds it was there as a convenience and should probably be changed. Perhaps it should say if [ "x$SGE_ROOT"="xAUTO"] ; then... Not sure. Perhaps we'll try to improve it for next patch.

--
Dave Flitney, IT Manager
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain