I thought it would be a good idea to take the within-subject nature of
the FIR basis EVs into account. In other words, if one subject had an
elevated baseline response to a whole condition, we expect the 5 FIR
PEs that are passed up to be inflated for this subject compared to
other subjects. But we don't want to introduce that variance into our
f-test, which is just asking if the 5 FIR bases are different from
each other, regardless of the individual subject baselines.

Is that not how FIR analyses are usually done? I thought they were
essentially a repeated-measures ANOVA, where you want to remove
subject means from your input data so that your error term will be
smaller and your stats more powerful?

Thanks,
Todd