Thanks Dr.Steve.

________________________________

From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library on behalf of Steve Smith
Sent: Sun 8/30/2009 8:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Smoothing FSL-VBM

On 28 Aug 2009, at 18:15, Rajagopalan, Venkateswaran wrote:

> Dear FSL users,
>
> I am new to VBM kind of analysis. I was going through FSL-VBM user
> documentation where it was mentioned that t-statistic map will be
> created for a range of FWHM =4.6 to 9 mm and it was suggested that
> based on t-stats maps one can decide the size of smoothing kernel
> for the data in hand. Can anyone please tell how i can decide i.e.
> what to look for in t-stats map which will help me to decide the
> appropriate smoothing kernel.

Sorry - no, it's not very easy to provide hard rules on this question
- that's why I didn't really like the idea of including these multiple
smoothings in the script - Gwen's away on holiday so I get away with
saying this....  Anyway I generally prefer to stick with the minimal
smoothing, and use TFCE, as discussed in the TFCE paper.

Cheers.

> In general also i don't know how to choose an appropriate size for
> smoothing kernel, i read a little bit about Matched filter theorm to
> decide on the selecting the kernel size but couldn't understand much.
>
> Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> venkateswaran
>

> ===================================
>

> Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top hospitals
> in America by U.S. News & World Report (2008).
> Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org <http://www.clevelandclinic.org/>  for
> a complete listing of our services, staff and
> locations.
>

> Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use
> only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed
> and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
> law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
> delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
> you have received this communication in error,  please
> contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in
> its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  Thank you.

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)