Hi Hans,

Under the null assumption these two approaches are identical, the only
difference being that in the case of the more complicated variance
normalisation the variance is based on an estimate from a truncated
Gaussian (i.e. you normalise to e.g. 0.95 globally rather than 1
globally but this is irrelavant given the later Z-transform). Under
the alternative hypothesis of there being signal somewhere, the PCA
based variance normalisation is basically a robust estimate for the
the noise standard deviation. Given the parameterisation we can
flexibly move between both extremes (no variance normalisation to full
variance normalisation). The details are not in the paper, the overall
concept of having to do such a normalising step is.

Given typical sparseness and low SNR of BOLD signals of interest the
difference between the two cases is largely negligible - where it
really matters is wrt non-BOLD signal variations, e.g. slice dropouts
or spiking, which can induce changes in variance _much_ above the
level you get from signals due to activation.
The reason why it matters is that in such extreme cases the noise
standard deviation does not correspond to an isotropic case which then
messes with the mixture model fit used for inference in that voxels
which do not contain any signal (the background noise class) cannot
simply be modelled using a single Gaussian (as the corresponding PDF
for the background noise will be a mixture of Gaussians just as in the
case where no variance normalisation is carried out)  - it is for this
reason that we now use a robust estimator of the voxel-wise variances
in the software.
The thresholding simply is used temporarily to get a robust estimate
of the noise which is then applied to the non-thresholded data.
Practically, apart from the extreme cases of scanner-indiced
variation, this normalisation deals with the very simple problem of
tissue-dependent noise variance. Below is a plot of this (on log-
scale!) highlighting that if no variance normalisation is carried out
then the a single CSF voxel can easily weigh as much as 10 GM voxels
in the calculation of the data covariance - one reason for not doing
what you suggest (i.e. only use this normalisation in the dim-
estimation step)

hth
Christian