Dear Yannis,

You can't rely on what the images look like on the screen.
You can only rely on how they are labeled in FSLView.
If there are no labels, then the orientation information isn't
set correctly and FSL is using some defaults which may or
may not be right.  If things started as Analyze, then this will
be the case.  If you are sure that they were stored in a
radiological fashion (and Analyze format, as it is used in
practice, does *not* guarantee this) then you should not
use fslswapdim like this.  The warning is in there precisely
to highlight the fact that it is a dangerous operation and
can really muck up attempts to register later on.

If you do fslswapdim with -x z y then you preserve the
same "left-right orientation" in the image as in the original.
This means that you are doing something equivalent to
just rotating the image - something that flirt could also do.
If you didn't do this then you are rotating *and* reflecting
and it is the reflection which flirt can never do, and hence
you would never get the correct left-right orientation in the
registered images.

You can use flirt with a large search space and hopefully
it will just register your images without requiring any use of
fslswapdim - if so, then this is the best option.  If not, then
use fslswapdim with -x z y as this at least preserves things
as they were, but you should always check that things are
on the correct side after registration, since the original
left-right orientation (if imported from Analyze) might be wrong.
Especially if you are using MRI and CT images.  Given
that you have some invasive markers for left and right, it
will be easy to check in your case.

Hope this helps.
All the best,
	Mark