Hi,

The -noresample flag does not stop using the reference volume
to determine the output size and resolution.  It just stops internal
calculations doing resampling which, given the -applyxfm flag, is
totally irrelevant.

Using your new reference image is the right thing to do.
However, the qform has nothing to do with how flirt will resample
the intensities.  So if the image *looks* wrong after this then there
is a bigger problem.  Getting the right qform for your output will
then be a second problem.  I'm not sure if "data in the wrong
place" means that just the coordinates are wrong (incorrect qform)
or that the image looks wrong (wrong intensities, and hence a bigger
problem).

What I think you should do is the following:
  - run fslorient with -deleteorient on your new reference volume,
	to remove its qform info (which would otherwise taken precedence)
  - run: flirt -in inplane -ref newref -applyxfm -init yshift.mat -out
inplane_paddedFOV

Hopefully this will make an image which looks correct (the
intensities are where they should be in the image) and has the
transformed qform from the input image (as the newref will have
had no info to override this).

Let us know if you have any problems with this.
All the best,
	Mark