Dear colleague

I am emailing on behalf of Lifelong Learning UK. LLUK has been approached by the Department for Business Innovation and Skills to find out if there are any examples within the lifelong learning sector (including HE) where the views and needs of disabled people have been taken into account at the outset of policy development, which has resulted in a positive outcome; for example in terms of saving money or in raising the quality of the service offered for all (non-disabled and disabled) service users/staff. Alternatively, you may be aware of an instance where not taking account of disabled peoples’ needs at an early stage has resulted in a less satisfactory outcome.

I would be grateful if you could let me know of any instances that might be used as case studies for this purpose by close on Wednesday 19th August. It would be great to show that there has been some positive activity to engage with disabled learners and staff to shape policy and/or service provision and promote this. Please email case studies to me at [log in to unmask]

Many thanks

Stuart Moore

Policy Adviser

Direct tel 020 7438 1023

E-mail [log in to unmask]

Switchboard 020 7438 1010

Fax 020 7438 1011

Equality Challenge Unit

7th Floor, Queens House

55/56 Lincoln's Inn Fields

London WC2A 3LJ

Equality Challenge Unit

Company limited by guarantee, number 05689975

Registered charity, number 1114417

Registered office: 7th floor, Queens House, 55/56 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3LJ, United Kingdom.

Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) promotes equality and diversity in higher education.  ECU is funded by Universities UK, GuildHE, and the UK higher education funding bodies (HEFCE, HEFCWDEL-NI) and by SFC to work in collaboration with Equality Forward in Scotland.

Although every effort is made to ensure that the information contained within this email is accurate and up to date, ECU cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. The information is not a substitute for legal advice, and should you require more specific advice you should consult an appropriately qualified professional adviser.

This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you should not copy or disclose this message to anyone but should kindly notify the sender and delete the message.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of ECU shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.  No contracts shall be concluded by means of this email.

Neither ECU nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses. The administrator of this email service reserves the right to access and disclose all messages sent over its email system.