Hello Mires people,

Leeds 2010 update

Thematic Session for Leeds 2010

I am in the process of finalising the thematic session details to go to the meetings committee in October.  Thanks to all of you that expressed an interest in presenting, however I know need names and vague talk areas to go on the proposal, so those of you still interested and any new interested presenters, please email me by September.  I require at least four names and vague talk areas, which shouldn't be a problem as at least double that number emailed me expressing interest, unfortunately not all with their talk themes

The session provisionally entitled Peatland Restoration: looking back to look forward aims to take a look back at monitoring and research of past restoration work to help in providing informed guidance for future work.

Non-thematic session talks at Leeds 2010

To those group members not involved in peatland research, there will be an opportunity to submit talks and posters to the general BES Mires and palaeoecology sessions.  These sessions have dwindled and been notably absent in recent years and I am keen to reestablish them.

Research Group meeting

The hub of the group activities is our group meeting, which I am hopeful for a good turnout at Leeds.  These group meetings are a great social occasion, if only for being scheduled at the end of a long day of sessions, normally starting at 8 pm and with the provision of alcohol in the room.

On a more serious note, I have plans for the meeting to be a follow-on from the formal talks sessions and posters, by opening up half the meeting to a poster display/ discussion on the future fate (and hope) of peatlands.  This will constitute the later part of the meeting with the earlier part being a more formal(ish) discussion about future group activities.

That constitutes the update, my next group correspondence will be after the meeting committee in October, when I will be reporting back on the success of the thematic session proposal.

Sarah
Mires Research Group secretary

Dr Sarah Crowe
Postdoctoral Research Associate