Hello Ian,

SPM generates graphical figures when you run it. However, there is a
solution called Xvbv, see
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0905&L=SPM&P=R47421
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0905&L=SPM&P=R47421>
for more details or search for Xvbf on the discussion list.
It performs all graphical operations in memory, so you can run spm from
the command line.

First you have to enable Xvbf.
Then you can start matlab with matlab -nodesktop
Then you can run the SPM jobs using spm_jobman('run', <jobsvariable>);

This should more or less do the trick

Regards

Pieter