Dear Hyo Jong,

it is most likely -nojvm that is causing trouble. MATLAB relies on java
to create figure toolbars and even menus. If you don't want the MATLAB
desktop, you can use -nodesktop instead. This will start java, but not
the MATLAB desktop environment.

Volkmar

Hello,
I try to use the newest spm8 on RHLR5 Linux with Matlab 7.6.0.
And I am using the Xmanager as an X emulator for my PC to run X
applications.
I called matlab without jvm (with -nojvm option) to save memory and ran
'spm fmri'
The spm8 starts ok, but the batch editor does not display menu and toolbar
(graphics icons, such as a green button) on the top. I cannot do anything
because it does not have any text menu to save or run.

<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0907&L=SPM&P=7356>