Dear Tommaso,

on a Mac, drag'n dropping folders on existing ones has a strange behaviour:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=SPM;qu2NSQ;20081105144330%2B0100

So use the command line to install the updates, as described here:
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/software/spm8/#Updates

unzip spm8.zip
unzip -o spm8_updates_rxxxx.zip -d spm8

(and note that if you just downloaded spm8.zip, the updates have already
been included anyway).

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--