Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross posting. I would like to inform you about the following opportunities at the University of Strathclyde.

1) Chair in Engineering Mechanics
2) Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering

Deadline for applications August 28th, 2009. I have attached the advert and further particulars for both positions. For informal enquiries please email/phone Dr Minna Karstunen (contact details below).

3) PhD in Geophysics

New eco-tracers for monitoring the fissuring of flood defence embankments using Geophysics. The aim of this study is to test new "Detection tracers" in the form of gels to fill in the fine fissuring network of flood defence embankments and monitor their location. Four different detection Geophysical techniques will be used to assess the tracers performance. Ultimately, these tracers associated with resistivity and conductivity measurements and geotechnical sensing could be used for general maintenance strategies for earth dams as the fissuring network that can appear during the desiccation process can lead to deep erosion inside the structure and partial collapse.

Web link:

http://www.strath.ac.uk/dta/200910dtastudentships/#d.en.192464

Directory Civil Engineering

Dr Minna Karstunen