Browsing through Google Books (full editions) I have come across "The
Imperial Guide with picturesque plans of the great post roads" by James
Barker dated 1801/2. It has several fascinating illustrations with small pen
and ink drawings of the towns and great houses along the route the 'post
roads'. The illustration I am looking at goes from Coventry to Stony
Stratford and has 28 of these small drawings.These include illustrations of
Towcester, Easton Neston House, Stony Stratford and some local villages that
I have not come across before. Also includes windmills. It covers much of
the country and is worth a look. Book can be downloaded as a pdf but
illustrations loose some detail.

Regards

Brian Giggins