A couple of additional comments:

What you want to do is to set up a parametric modulator. This will ensure that the modulator is (a) mean centered; (2) orthogonal to the task effect; (3) represents something of interest.

If column 2 is orthogonal to column 1, then column 1 will have the same values with or with column 2 in the model. If they are not orthogonal, then the values for column 1 will change.

If its a custom regressor, not defined through parametric modulation, but related to the task... I'm not sure how you would interpret it since you have to consider the hemodynamic response of the stimulus.