From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Blackey H (CELT)
Sent: 15 May 2009 12:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: developing SoTL post-PGCertHE

Like Chester at Glamorgan we have a pot for pedagogic projects. Though the focus is on innovation and changing practice. So while there must be a research output, the project must effect practice. The money allocated for this is similar to Chester's total amount but we encourage bids of different sizes, so in most years we give 10 grants and this year are supporting 13 projects.

Each year we have a different theme. Out of interest our last three have been:

2007/8 - the development of a classroom-based teaching model which is challenging and actively engages students in their own learning.

2008/9 - developing Assessment FOR Learning at module or programme level

2009/10 - the development of curriculum to prepare graduates for employment.

In all three years staff who had completed the PgCert the previous year applied and were successful in achieving funding.

On the research front we have published a Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education (http://jarhe.research.glam.ac.uk/) - while the journal is open to all, we provide one to one support for staff who are inexperienced researchers in pedagogy to help them focus on this area as part of their career development.

In addition we use recent successful completers of the PgCert to deliver their experiences to the current PgCert cohort.

It has been really pleasing to see recent PgCert graduates getting awards in our Excellence in Learning and Teaching Awards (http://celt.glam.ac.uk/Information/excellence-in-learning-teaching-and-assessment-awards-elta) last year and a number of last year's completers applying for this year's awards.

Cheers,

Haydn

Haydn Blackey
Head of Innovations in Learning and Teaching and Deputy Head of the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching/Pennaeth Datblygiadau Newydd Dysgu ac Addysgu a Dirprwy Bennaeth Canolfan Rhagoriaeth Dysgu ac Addysgu Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching/Canolfan Rhagoriaeth Dysgu ac Addysgu University of Glamorgan/Prifysgol Morgannwg Treforest/Trefforest Pontypridd/Pontypridd Wales/Cymru
CF37 1DL
+44 (0)1443 654331
http://learning.weblog.glam.ac.uk
http://celt.glam.ac.uk