Dear Colleagues

I've been asked to pass on this open invitation to hear Steven Shapin
speak at the Royal Society.

Brian

If you are having difficulties viewing this email, click here
<http://newsletters.royalsociety.org/q/11bnxaolgkwN/wv> for an online
version

To ensure future emails reach you, please add *royalsociety.org* to your
safe senders list.

Science Policy <http://newsletters.royalsociety.org/c/18ydDfykHM5Q20>

  PolicyLab

  with Steven Shapin, Harvard historian of science and author of The
  Scientific Life

  Friday 19 June

  Register from 10:30am, the discussion will run from 11:00 am - 12:30 pm

Please join us on Friday 19 June 2009 from 10:30am for an event with
Steven Shapin, Harvard historian of science and author of /The
Scientific Life.
/
It’s easy to forget that Darwin was an amateur. Compared with a hundred
or even fifty years ago, contemporary, professional science looks very
different. What does it mean to be a scientist in the 21^st Century? Are
scientists still driven by curiosity and a desire to make the world a
better place? How different is university science from corporate
science? What does this mean for how we support and regulate scientific
research?

Steven will be joined by neuroscientist Mark Lythgoe and James Wilsdon,
director of the Royal Society Science Policy Centre.

If you would like to attend this free event, please email
with your name, job title and place of work, clearing stating which
event you would like to attend. Registration will be from 10:30 am, the
discussion will run from 11:00 -12:30.

Please note this is an automatic operation.

© Copyright The Royal Society, 2008
The Royal Society
6-9 Carlton House Terrace
London SW1Y 5AG

t: +44(0)20 7451 2500
e: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w: royalsociety.org/policy
<http://newsletters.royalsociety.org/c/18yfrgpxQSs9A9>

Registered Charity No 207043

 Twenty Ten and beyond, 350 years of excellence in science

This email is sent on behalf of The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House
Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG, United Kingdom. You should carry out your own
virus check before opening any attachment. The Royal Society accepts no
liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses
or interception or interruption of this email. The contents of this
email and any attachments are intended for the confidential use of the
named recipient(s) only. They may be legally privileged and should not
be communicated to or relied upon by any person without our express
written consent. If you are not an addressee (or you have received this
mail in error) please notify us immediately by email to:
Registered charity no. 207043