From: Discussion List for RFID in Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ivar Thyssen
Sent: 23 May 2009 20:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are RFID suppliers becoming protectionist?

Dear Librarians,

An interesting issue! In P.V. Supa we have previously discussed the issue and from our point of view it is legal to read the data model provided by other suppliers, as it cannot be infringing any copyrights when just reading it.

P.V. Supa is able to read any data model on the market and we have previously been in situations where the original supplier refused to co-operate, but in the end the library got the solution they wanted and several years later the old supplier was kicked out (now they have left the market totally).

Many libraries risk ending in a situation as described by Mr. Fortune, as they went for suppliers, who think more about their short-term profit than the long-term benefit of the library (and consequently the supplier). The only way to get out of it is,

It is very important that uncooperative suppliers are weeded as we, suppliers, are paid by tax-payers money and this kind of money shall be used with highest respect by all citizens.

Best regards

P.V. Supa Oy Ltd.

Ivar Thyssen

Export manager