m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411

From: Discussion List for RFID in Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ivar Thyssen
Sent: 23 May 2009 20:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are RFID suppliers becoming protectionist?

Dear Librarians,

An interesting issue! In P.V. Supa we have previously discussed the issue
and from our point of view it is legal to read the data model provided by
other suppliers, as it cannot be infringing any copyrights when just reading
it.

P.V. Supa is able to read any data model on the market and we have
previously been in situations where the original supplier refused to
co-operate, but in the end the library got the solution they wanted and
several years later the old supplier was kicked out (now they have left the
market totally).

Many libraries risk ending in a situation as described by Mr. Fortune, as
they went for suppliers, who think more about their short-term profit than
the long-term benefit of the library (and consequently the supplier). The
only way to get out of it is,

*	to demand open standards,
*	to demand that information (i.e. data model or SIP-information) are
available to 3rd party suppliers providing complementary solutions
*	to openly tell all other libraries about their unfortunate
experience with such suppliers and,
*	to blacklist suppliers having this kind behavior.

It is very important that uncooperative suppliers are weeded as we,
suppliers, are paid by tax-payers money and this kind of money shall be used
with highest respect by all citizens.

Best regards

P.V. Supa Oy Ltd.

Ivar Thyssen