I guess there's a lot of baggage that comes with Marx. What about Dickens?
Hard Times (1854) is a pretty  miserable tome liberally anti trade union and
anti capitalist, but there is  a fantastic passage which should be read out
aloud before any public discussion on deregulation:

Coketown in the distance was suggestive of itself, though not a brick of it
could be seen.

The wonder was, it was there at all.  It had been ruined so often,

that it was amazing how it had borne so many shocks.  Surely there

never was such fragile china-ware as that of which the millers of

Coketown were made.  Handle them never so lightly, and they fell to

pieces with such ease that you might suspect them of having been

flawed before.  They were ruined, when they were required to send

labouring children to school; they were ruined when inspectors were

appointed to look into their works; they were ruined, when such

inspectors considered it doubtful whether they were quite justified

in chopping people up with their machinery; they were utterly

undone, when it was hinted that perhaps they need not always make

quite so much smoke.  Besides Mr. Bounderby's gold spoon which was

generally received in Coketown, another prevalent fiction was very

popular there.  It took the form of a threat.  Whenever a

Coketowner felt he was ill-used - that is to say, whenever he was

not left entirely alone, and it was proposed to hold him

accountable for the consequences of any of his acts - he was sure

to come out with the awful menace, that he would 'sooner pitch his

property into the Atlantic.'  This had terrified the Home Secretary

within an inch of his life, on several occasions.

Mike Hughes