From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">N.Yeates
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:46 AM
Subject: Join the SPA

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

PLEASE IGNORE THIS IF YOU ARE ALREADY A MEMBER OF THE SPA

Dear GSP list member,

I am writing to you as Membership Secretary of the Social Policy Association (SPA) to encourage you to join the SPA for 2009. The SPA is the professional association for teachers, researchers, students and practitioners of social policy. Although the majority of SPA members are UK-based, the SPA also has many overseas members and we are particularly keen to keep in touch with national and international developments in the subject.

There are many benefits of joining the SPA, not least:

·       You will be sent hard copies of the ‘Journal of Social Policy’ and ‘Social Policy and Society’ (both published four times a year in collaboration with Cambridge University Press). SPA members also have access to the online searchable Social Policy Digest produced by CUP as part of the Journal of Social Policy.

·       You will also be sent hard copies of ‘Policy World’, published three times a year, containing news, updates on current developments and debates, book reviews and details of teaching resources, conferences, workshops and other events.

·       You will also be sent a copy of ‘Social Policy Review’, published annually: an edited collection of articles reviewing developments and debates in social policy in Britain and internationally.

·       Access to a Postgraduate Group which organises a support network and tailored events for postgraduates via an annual Postgraduate Conference and theme-focussed

·       Discounted registration for the annual Social Policy Association conference (held in Edinburgh this year from 29th June to 1st July), which attracts social policy academics and researchers from the UK and other countries.  The conference provides an important opportunity to engage with the latest developments in the discipline.

·       A full list of benefits is given on our website at http://www.social-policy.com/

If you wish to join please log in to http://www.social-policy.com/ and follow the instructions from there to fill in the online form and pay using Paypal.  We would like to inform you that if you are paying for someone else's membership with your credit card or vice versa by Paypal, it is the name of the cardholder that will appear on the payment notification the SPA receives from Paypal and not the name of the SPA member. In these cases, please email Rana Jawad (SPA Treasurer) on [log in to unmask] advising for whom payment is being made and by whom.

If, for any reason, you are not able to pay online, then you can still renew your subscription by filling in a form and sending in a cheque.  Please email me ([log in to unmask]) if you wish to do this. Please note that we do not accept credit cards or standing orders as we have found that these mechanisms for payment have caused delays in membership administration.

Subscriptions are charged on a sliding scale according to income (see below for current rates). UK taxpayers can claim tax relief at the standard rate on their subscriptions.  Subscriptions are renewable each January and can be paid online by Paypal or by a cheque sent through the post.   If you join during the calendar year, you will still receive copies of all publications and other benefits for the whole calendar year.

Annual income           Annual subscription

Less than £15,000                       £20

£15,000–£29,999                         £40

£30,000–£49,999                         £70

£50,000 or more                         £100

Organisational rate                     £100*

* Please contact the Membership Secretary, Karen Rowlingson, for further details of organisational membership which is available to organisations in the Public and Third Sector but not higher education institutions.

Full details of these and other services; the work of the Association; news, events and an information exchange can be found on the SPA’s website www.social-policy.com

We look forward to you joining us.

Best wishes,

Karen Rowlingson