but [picking up on herbert's helpful citing of cohen-seat] don't we need a three part discrimination rather than just two? . . . .  for haven't we in this discussion come around to the sense that there is a significant [that's exactly the right word] difference between the MATERIAL basis of film [celluloid or chemical emulsion or digital storage etc] and its characteristic use of SIGNS [whether seen as a language or not]? . . . so we end up, at the very least, with 1) a set of materials; 2) a set of codes or signs; and 3) a culture within which those are used in specific ways

i think we need at least those three

BYW, i wonder why Herbert is sorry that issues of esthetic value have crept in to the discussion - but that's a separate matter

mike