My opinion is with Tim but you may be interested in the ICO’s opinion with regard to solicitors, accountants and private investigators.

The ICO is of the opinion that they are data controllers even when acting in response to the instructions given by a client.

Unless they have changed their opinion the Law Society do not agree with the ICO but advise their clients to err on the side of caution. I am unaware of the Institute of Chartered Accountant’s view. The Private investigators generally know so little about DPA it is difficult to assess what their view if any is.

May I develop this discussion a little further? If when you subcontract/delegate/instruct work to another party that involves processing personal data and you do not include the data protection clause is it a lawful contract. He will be processing personal data for a client and the DPA is quite clear that the legal relationship of processor and controller has to be in writing. I suggest that this adds a fifth clause to the common law definition of contract—offer, acceptance, consideration and legally binding. If I am correct and this is not a valid contract doesn’t it then open the potential for breaches of DPA as well as HRA article 8- Right to respect for privacy.

Seems to me that whatever the answer may be it wise to include the data protection clause in all contracts that include ethe processing of personal data.

Chris Brogan MA LLM

Managing Director

Security International Ltd

130 St Johns Road, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6PL, UK

Tel:  +44 20 8847 2111  Fax:  +44 20 8847 1852

Registered in England & Wales No. 1322074

Registered Office:  11 Loveday Road, London W13 9JT

www.securitysi.com