Interestingly I have noticed there has historically been little
acceptance of many proportionality matters where various existing
national registers/databases were concerned.
Generally extremes are inevitably used to justify/stifle opposing
arguments in most debates and as such are frequently used politically.
Because of those issues narrowing the scope to a single thread which
contains some of the most emotionally extreme arguments available
substantially weakens the debate; This is especially true where
personal data is concerned, because as everybody on this list is aware
purposes are not (irrespective of how well defined) stable and finite
things, function creep always appears and is often planned for by some
in advance.

I for one, therefore do not believe, even after giving regard to areas
other than crime (which is acknowledged as one of the many exemptions
available), that any greater purpose is served by limiting the focus of
the DNA database debate, in a similar fashion I suspect many who feel
they would wish to see a national DNA database, would no doubt not want
to see any undue limitations on purpose applied to such a database.

Ian W

proportionate".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8037042.stm

Ibrahim Hasan