I have long been worried by the data mining potential for seemingly innocent transactions.

Excuse me while I mention TATP, Islam, Cemtex or is it semtex, revolution, and AK47 in this email.  They are mentioned innocently, but the juxtaposition of the words could conceivably create yet another non existent terror plot!

Prohibiting access does not prohibit a court order from obtaining access.  So what is the full technical solution, especially of one needs to levy fines against a library borrower for a short period for late book return, thus needs Jon's real world details associated with Pentboy?

Mark van Harmelen wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hi Ian and others

Once a name is translated to a GUID there is no going back or finding the user without observational help (eg the CCTV Ian mentions, or that I know the examplar jon and spot him with books as in the original post).

For info a GUID is a huge number, wiipedia: 'consider the observable universe ... 5x10power 22 stars, each star would then have 6.8x10power15 GUIDs' -- that's 6,800,000,000,000,000 unique GUIDs per each of 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 observable stars.

But rather than be sidetracked by GUIDs, it's more the fact that there is a small chance that I might be able to deduce someones borrowing habits that worries me.

thanks
mark