Dear Laura,

See A.G. Little, Studies in English Franciscan History (Manchester, 1917).  According to Little, Innocent IV, with the bull “Cum a nobis petitur” granted the friars the privilege of burying in their churches and cemeteries any person who desired it.  This privilege threatened one on the primary sources of income of the parish priest, the funeralia, consisting of mass stipends, candles, vestments, and other donations given on the occasion of the funeral or anniversary of death.   There were a number of controversies as a result, with several popes issuing bulls for and against the friars.  In 1300, Boniface VIII issued “Super Cathedram” which required that the friars give one-fourth of the funeralia to the parish priest.

Hope this helps.

Cyprian Rosen, OFMCap

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Jacobus
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] burials in church

Happy Easter and Passover to all.

Can anyone tell me what regulations or customs existed regarding burials in churches (thirteen and fourteenth century Italy being my main concerns)?  I'm working on a private church (the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua), and my sense is that c.1300 it was still quite rare for lay-people to be buried in churches, though the practice was gaining in popularity and Italian churches began to sprout private family chapels for the purpose around this time.  I'd be particularly interested to know whether private churches or family chapels within churches might have needed a special license for burials, or whether it was simply assumed that patrons had the right to be buried in them.

All best

Laura