Bonnie Blackburn wrote:
> The text of the first line of what now appears to be 'Sederunt principes' has
> indeed been altered: it was originally 'Et enim sederunt', which is how the
> Introit for the Mass of St Stephen begins. The melody matches that Introit,
> more or less, in the Liber Usualis 414. I can only think that it was confused > with the Gradual for the same mass, which begins 'Sederunt principes, et
> adversum me loquebantur' (LU 416).
>
> On the other side, 'Solve iubente deo' appears to be the versus of the
> Alleluia for the feast of St Peter's Chains, LU 1576, not the Magnificat
> antiphon on LU 1579. Both the end of the antiphon melody and the versus
> differ from the LU melody, though there are resemblances here and there. It
> is, however, more variation than one would expect between different usages.
> The text does not seem to be rewritten.

Note the double bar lines to indicate where the choir cames in (an asterisk is now used) - the part before the double bar lines was sung by the Cantor. The untexted line at the top of the verso must be the Alleluia itself.

None of which explains what two Mass items are doing in what claims to be an Antiphoner! Did someone (not recently) try to convert a Gradual into an Antiphoner?

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]