14 January's ODNB 'Life of the Day' was W. J. Courtenay's biography of
Richard  Bury  [Aungerville]  (1287-1345), administrator and bishop of
Durham.  A fairly typical ecclesiastic who rose through royal service,
including embassies to Avignon (where he met Petrarch).  He compiled a
formulary book, was a patron of scholars and, in his Philobiblon expressed
his attitude to books and learning.

If you would like to see it, please email me before the end of the week.

Rosemary Hayes

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]