On Wednesday, April 22, 2009, at 9:28 am, christopher crockett wrote, quoting Bob Kraft:

> >and the underwriting is still decipherable (Et enim sede).
>
> sorry.
>
> you lost me entirely there.
>
> perhaps we are not looking at the same image.
>
> but i'll be jiggered if i can see an "Et enim sede" anywhere on this page
>
> http://www.neumann-walter.de/NW/November2007/27.11.07/33.jpg
>
> and i can see no "underwriting" below the main text of the chant, anywhere,
> either.
>
> you Manuscript guys sure do have sharp eyes.

I can see it just as Bob does, in the line that now has: e   de
It may not be quite as plain as a pikestaff, but it's there.  If you look closely at the space after the second 'e' on that line you should be able to make out what at first glance might appear to be an 'x'.  It's actually the join between an uncial 'd' and an 'e'.  Work backwards from thaty and you should be able to reconstruct the rest.

<SNIP>
> >And it doesn't take much paleographical skill
>
> now your talking my language.
>
> >to observe that the newly written "d" in that line
>
> the "Se*d*e" line...
>
> http://www.neumann-walter.de/NW/November2007/27.11.07/33.jpg
>
> >is not appropriate to the original hand -- see the final line on that
> page
> (domine deus) or the Solue line on the next page ending with "de."
>
> or the "d" in "aduersu[m]" just below the "Sede".
>
> yes, even i can see that.

or the 'd' in the erased 'de' referred to above.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]