- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS -

OBJECT AND IDENTITY IN A DIGITAL AGE

The CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) Twenty-Fifth Annual Conference

Thursday 12 - Friday 13 November 2009, Birkbeck, University of London

We live in a time when our identities are increasingly fractured, networked, virtualised and distributed. The same appears to be true of our things. Objects are becoming more contingent, reconfigurable, distributable and immaterial.

For the 25th anniversary CHArt conference we are looking for papers that engage with these questions in relation to art practice, production, consumption, representation and display. We are interested in new notions of the identity of the artist, including those involving collaboration and anonymity; new conceptions and ontologies of the art object, as processual, virtual, or hybrid; new means of consumption and reception, whether in galleries and museums, in public spaces, or over networks of broadcast and narrowcast; and the challenges these transformations bring to the display of art and to its curation and access.

We also welcome papers looking at earlier parallel transformations such as, for example, those brought about by photography, or developments in printmaking.

We welcome contributions from all sections of the CHArt community: art historians, artists, architects and architectural theorists and historians, curators, conservators, scientists, cultural and media theorists, archivists, technologists, educationalists and philosophers.

Please email a three to four hundred word synopsis of the proposed paper with brief biographical information (no more than 200 words) of presenter/s by 30 May 2009 to Hazel Gardiner ([log in to unmask]).

*Please note that submissions exceeding the stated word count will not be considered*

Dr Charlie Gere
Chair, CHArt

CHArt (www.chart.ac.uk)
c/o Centre for Computing in the Humanities
Kings College, University of London
26 – 29 Drury Lane
London
WC2B 5RL

- CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS - CALL FOR PAPERS –