Da: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Per conto di Elisabeth Nadin
Inviato: luned́ 20 aprile 2009 23.07
A: [log in to unmask]
Oggetto: grain size estimate

Hello all,

I've been trying to find the best way to estimate grain sizes in thin section (measured grain sizes so far are 10-50 um diameter). The linear intercept method is one I come across many times, but I wonder if anyone on this discussion list thinks there is a better way (that can still be done simply without expensive machinery). Also, if anyone has a pdf of this early-ish paper on grain size distribution measurement -- or suggestions for better references -- I sure would appreciate an electronic copy!

Exner, H.E., 1972. Analysis of grain- and particle-size distributions in metallic materials. International Metallurgical Reviews 17, 25-42.

thanks,

Elisabeth