As per my previous email, PLoS is a not-for-profit organisation.
Journals (even not for profit ones) cannot run on a shoestring in some
fields, particularly life sciences. Journals like PLoS Medicine
receive hundreds, if not thousands, of submissions per year and employ
editorial staff, copy editors and design staff all of whom require a
fair wage, in addition to hosting fees. This is what they charge for
as only accepted work has to pay, you do not pay just for submission.

Journals such as these also have to balance the risk of attracting
lots of poor quality papers that do not get past the peer review
process - papers like these still incur the cost of assessment.

Open access journals in smaller fields, for example geography, attract
far fewer submissions and thus can be run on the goodwill of an editor
and editorial board (and, by extension, their employers). A question
remains: what is the discipline specific economy of scale required to
run a successful journal other than on 'goodwill'? What disciplines
would meet this criteria?

Interestingly, there was some debate over whether even large nfp
journals like PLoS would survive as, at first, journals published
under this umbrella did not generate enough paying submissions to
cover production costs. Academics themselves have a responsibility to
support such journals when they are set up if they want them to survive.

Best
Steve