Dear Ian et al,

I think a journal is a great idea. Black & Asian Studies is too often marginalised in Britain and such a journal would represent a step, albeit small, towards rectifying the historical disregard (relatively speaking) of Black and Asian Studies for at least 11 months of the year. Furthermore, I would be willing to serve as an editor or reviewer. How many others would be willing to do the same?

George Watley

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Nannestad
Sent: 19 April 2009 09:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Postings on BASAJISC

As someone new on here, although a past member of ASACACHIB/BASA I do think there is not always a consideration of 'ordinary' list members. For example, it is not uncommon for members to post attachments of a size that can take up to 20 minutes for those of us without access to broadband to download. It would be better to say 'if you want to see this, contact me off line and I will send you it personally'.

On a broader level perhaps the list could be used to instigate a discussion along the lines of 'where are we now' and 'where do we want to go'  (and 'how do we get there') for Black & Asian Studies. This could be used to address the problem, for example, of the lack of enthusiasm of major publishers for work in the field. I have thought BASA could launch a professionally produced journal (perhaps once or twice a year) thus show casing some of the valuable work of those who are researching, either academically or privately.

Ian Nannestad