Hi,

I have a question about the realignment parameters saved after
performing "Realign and Unwarp" with SPM5.

I realigned two sessions (i.e., scan runs) using the default setting
with the first image of the first session as the reference image. I
performed realignment in two ways:

Method 1: Included all the volumes in both sessions.

Method 2: Included only the first volume for the first session (Session
1), but all the volumes in the second session (Session 2).

I was expecting the realignment parameters for Session 2 to be identical
or near identical with both realignment methods. However, this is not
what I got (see attached image). With Method 1, the realignment
parameters for the first volume (row 1 in the upper table of the
attached image) are almost all 0s except for the second column. But,
with Method 2, the realignment parameters for the first volume (row 1 in
the lower table in the image) are quite different from the results of
Method 1, although the rest looked almost identical. Why is there such a
difference for volume 1? Is it expected?

Thanks much for your help.

Ben