hi darren,

thanks for your reply...

i have gotten more answers now, and in order to put this information in a place where it can be most easily found by others, i will post all that i know in here.

the issue only appears on solaris (not linux or macosx) so that's why it didn't happen to your install.

here is the pertinent info from my email back from the mathworks:

...when using the standard file browsing dialog, (i.e. the dialog displayed when selecting "Open" from MATLAB's File menu) some directories showed up empty?  Is this correct?

From my understanding, the source of the trouble may have been the file server's checkpoint files.  In NFS 3, these files use 64-bit inodes, and MATLAB appears to be unable to handle 64-bit inode sizes.  Presumably, that is why forcing your system to use NFS 2 resolved the issue.  However, you should be able to resolve the issue in NFS 3 if you do one of the following configure the file server to hide the checkpoint files.  You should be able to achieve this by adding the "32bitclients" option to the /etc/exports file on the machine where the files are stored.

as solaris support is being phased out for future matlab releases, there are no plans to fix the issue.

thanks for your help

-lokke