If you set up the weights as proposed by Gitelman et al. the mean of the
psychological term (before computing the interaction) is zero and thus you
need not worry about it. However, if the mean of the weights times the
number of trials is not zero, then demeaning will shift the vectors used in
PPI.
However, I believe that (1) having weights that are proportional to trials
in not optimal as it assumes a relationship between trial types is bad; and
(2) if you have separate vectors for each task, then they should not be
demeaned in order to keep the interaction term 0s during the task and 1s
elsewhere.

I am currently writing a PPI script that allows the creation of a vector and
interactions for each task separately.

--
Best Regards, Donald McLaren